Southern biscuits-my style

 I have a confession. I've always had a difficult time making a good biscuit. It’s been a battle that I've finally conquered.
My dad and sister can absolutely make the best biscuit. They don't need a recipe or precise instructions. They just pull some sort of magic trick out of their sleeves and poof -warm, flaky, not to doughy, not to dry-just the most perfect biscuits every time to accompany some peanut butter and syrup-mixed together of course. I prefer blackberry preserve.

There's really nothing better on a weekend morning. Saturdays are the best and then you have Sunday mornings, everyone’s scrambling around getting ready for church and your house smells delightful from a little piece of heaven in the oven.

Until recently, my family would just prefer frozen or can if I mentioned biscuits.

 Since my sis has been visiting she tried showing me her magic trick.
I tried. I failed.

I've been on a mission to succeed.
I have won! I have conquered!

Recipe:

2 cups self rising flour
1/2 tablespoon double-acting baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 500
Cook for 5 minutes
Reduce oven to 450
 and bake 15 minutes
Set your timer! Trust me on this one...


Sift flour. You can skip this step if your in a hurry. I've done both.

                      
add baking powder, dash of salt and sugar 



 4 tablespoons cold cubed butter Cut butter in. I use a handy dandy fork.
 Add 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
It will look sticky like this-
 Flour your hands. It's about to get gross.
 Spoon out dough and plop into some flour.
Pick up -roll around and put into greased cast iron skillet.

Like this-

Butter: I like it-it shows
 Brush on


and bake!
By the way...this is not even close to my sister magic show.
She does the-don't touch the dough, be very genlte recipe.
No wonder.

If you have issues making biscuits
TRY
these they work.
Let me know...


No comments:

Post a Comment

I heart comments!

Popular Posts